What will you do when you need to restore your system but unfortunately your image backup stops halfway through the process? A recent article, When your Windows image backup fails, try this by Lincoln Spector says that one of the worst scenarios in the digital world is when your backup fails.
Here are some possible ways to fix the problem.
- First, for restoring data files —if you have another backup locally or in the cloud, just restore your files and that’s it. It is very important to run your scan and remove virus program regularly to ensure your device is protected.
- Next, you can try setting your image backup as a drive. Most third-party image backup programs will allow this.
- Double-click the backup file on a computer where your backup program is installed.
- It should come up as a virtual partition with its own drive letter, if the file isn’t completely corrupted.
- Then you can copy files and folders to another drive.
This should also work with backup files in Windows. For example, if you’re using Windows 8 or 10;
- Find your backups in the WindowsImageBackup folder.
- Go down through different folders, and each one will prompt you “You currently don’t have permission to access this folder.”
- Just clickContinue and you’ll get access.
- You’ll then find a file with a VHDX extension.
Windows 7 works in a similar way.
- If that doesn’t work then get an external drive
- Try recovering the whole drive to that.
- If it works, try copying the drive to the internal drive.
- Or you can try the restoration on another computer. But in that case, you’ll need to restore to an external drive.
External backup is very important to ensure system and files can be restored whenever viruses and other threats corrupt your device. Shift Tech Solutions provides the best computer repair services. We offer technical support for any computer-related issues or networking problems. We are experts in Online Remote PC service and Online Remote Antivirus Service so give us a call today!
We hope this article has been useful one. We’d like to see your comments and questions below.